How Do I Get Refunds from Air France?
Air France is one of the largest airlines in Europe that is operated by Air France-KLM. It serves more than 35 destinations domestically in France and also touches the skies of 78 countries worldwide. If you are planning to fly or have booked an Air France flight ticket, you must know how to get refunds from Air France for unused or canceled flights. Every traveler must have complete information about the cancellation and refund policy of the airline that they want to fly with. You will get a complete guidebook on how I get refunds from Air France?
Air France Refund Policy
Air France allows its passengers to cancel flight tickets and get eligible refunds for them. The refundable amount depends on the type of flight tickets that are being cancelled by you. If the flight cancellation is initiated by the airline itself, you will also get eligibility to claim refunds for the flights that are cancelled by the airline. In case you have purchased your flight tickets from a travel agency, contact them for cancelling your tickets and ask them to initiate a refund process for you.
How Do I Request Refunds of Flight Tickets?
Requests for flight refunds can be done in many ways such as online refund requests, by filling up refund claim forms and by calling Air France customer service number.
Online refund requests can be done on the official website of Air France. After getting logged-on to the website go to the "Your Bookings” section and submit a refund request. You can claim a refund for all types of tickets except these two:
- If you have not received a boarding pass
- You bought your Air France ticket at least two days and up to 12 months ago.
Refund request through refunds form is also available for those customers who have still not proposed a refund in the “Your Bookings” section on the Air France official website. If the booking file contains more than 1 traveler, the refund request will apply to all tickets.
How Do I Request Refunds for Lost Tickets?
In case you have lost your Air France ticket, you need to submit these documents to claim refund for lost tickets.
- An application (lost ticket application form) signed by the traveler. The lost ticket application form can be obtained from the Air France ticket office.
- Submit the original passenger receipt if the replacement ticket was purchased.
- If the lost ticket was issued by travel agents, ask them to provide an agency coupon and attach the same with the request form.
What is the Cancellation Process on Air France?
Cancellation of flight tickets depends on the fare condition of your flight ticket. Air France issues both refundable and non-refundable flight tickets to its customers. Conditions of cancellation and eligibility of refunds can be found on the booking confirmation page. Online refund is permitted for those tickets either with or without fee, if the purchased ticket is at least 2 days prior or up to 12 months prior to the cancellation date.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Air France has made few amendments to its cancellation policy. According to the revised Air France cancellation policy, all tickets purchased up to December 31, 2021 can be cancelled without penalty. This policy is applicable to both when cancelling a flight or making a change in flights. Call Air France customer support number in case you face challenges in cancelling an Air France ticket.
Eligibility to Get Compensation from Air France
There are various types of compensation that Air France provides to its customers.
- Air France delay compensation: Under EU 261, passengers are eligible to get compensation if the flight is delayed for 3 or more hours. If you reach your destination 3 and more hours late only then you will be eligible for flight delay compensation. For example, if your flight departs 3 or more hours late but it makes up in the air and reaches less than 3 hours late at the destination airport, you won’t be eligible for flight delay compensation. It means, the delay factor depends on how much delay the flight reaches at destination. Your compensation criteria fully depend on when your flight arrives at the destination airport.
If your flight arrives 3 or more hours late, you can claim refund compensation. The refund calculation is based on the below table.
|Delay in Hours
|3 hours and more
|Less than 1500KMs
|3 hours and more
|Between 1500 and 3500 KMs
|More than 3500 KMs
|4 hours and more
|More than 3500 KMs
*Compensation component is subject to change anytime by the carrier.
- Air France flight cancellation compensation: You are eligible for Air France flight cancellation compensation if the flight is cancelled due to reasons that were under their control and you get notification of such cancellation in less than 14 days. However, compensation amount depends on the length of the flight such as:
|Less than 1500 KMs
|1500 to 3500 KMs
|More than 3500 KMs
- Overbooked flight compensation: If you are denied boarding due to overbooking by the airline, you can file for compensation.
How Do I Make Changes to an Air France Booking?
You are entitled to change your flight date, time, class of service and flight itinerary. Go to the official website of Air France, and make necessary changes under the "Manage Your Booking” section. Check the fare rule of your previous tickets whether the changes are allowed for free or with a fee. However, you will have to pay the difference in fare if the new flight is of higher value.
Air France 24-Hours Cancellation Policy
Air France provides an option to cancel Air France tickets for free if the below criteria meet:
- Cancellation time is not more than 24 hours from the ticket purchasing time
- Flight date must be at least one week later from the booking date.
- If you have purchased flight tickets from the U.S.A.
Can I Get Refunds for an Unused Ticket?
The eligibility of refunds of unused Air France tickets depends on many factors such as class of service and fare condition of your tickets. Some tickets are non-refundable and some are refundable until the trip starts. But in all conditions, service fees that include booking fees and after sales fees cannot be refunded.
Whether your ticket is fully or partially unused, you may be eligible for a tax refund however, it depends on the below conditions.
- Whether your ticket is refundable or non-refundable
- Whether it is a one way or return ticket
- Fare conditions and ticket price
- Specific regulations of the country from where the ticket has been purchased.
Frequently Asked Questions on Air France Refund Policy
Q: Can I claim for refunds after check-in?
Ans: If you have already checked-in online and want to request a refund, you need to cancel your check-in first to get the refund request initiated.
Q: Can I cancel a non-refundable Air France flight?
Ans: You will have to pay the penalty for cancelling a non-refundable ticket that depends on the length of the flight. After deducting the penalty, the airline will give you an e-credit of the same value if there is a remainder.
Q: How long does an Air France refund process take?
Ans: Usually, it takes 6 to 8 business days to get a refund request processed.
Also, read our blog Lufthansa Flight Refund Policy.
878-223-0733 OR, We will contact you within 24 hours.